27 May Masjid Al Aqsa Series
Masjid al-Aqsa is no ordinary Masjid. Some of the reasons of the importance of this masjid:
1. The first qiblah for Muslims,
2. The station of al-Isra’ and al-Mi’raj,
3. The second house of Allah built on earth,
4. The place where hundreds of Messengers of Allah are buried,
5. The place where many Companions are buried,
6. A place where miracles were shown by Allah’s will,
7. A place which Allah Himself calls a ‘blessed place’,
8. Referred to directly and indirectly, seventy times in the Holy Qur’an,
9. The place where angels have descended with Allah’s message,
10. The only place on earth where all the Messengers of Allah prayed at the same time led by the Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh),
11. The only Masjid mentioned by name in the Holy Qur’an apart from the Ka’bah
40 Ahadith Masjid Al-Aqsa – Ismail Patel
Glory to Allah Who did take His servant on a journey by night from the Sacred Mosque in Makkah) to the Mosque of Al-Aqsa (in Jerusalem). Whose precincts We did bless. That We may show him some of Our signs. Indeed He alone is All-Hearing, All-Seeing (Surah Al-Isra 17:1)
Is Masjid Al Aqsa really in Palestine?
Abu Dharr RA reported that he asked the Prophet ﷺ, “O Messenger of Allah, which masjid was built first on earth?” The Prophet ﷺ replied, “The Sacred Masjid of Makkah.” Abu Dharr again asked, “Which was next?” The Prophet ﷺ said, “The Masjid al-Aqsa.” Abu Dharr RA further asked, “How long was the period between the building of the two masajid?” The Prophet ﷺ said, “Forty years.” Apart from these, offer your prayers anywhere when it is time to pray, as excellence lies in it.” (Al-Bukhari)
Hajj and Umrah from Masjid Al Aqsa
Umm Salamah (ra) relates that the Prophet ﷺ said, “If anyone puts on Ihram for Hajj or Umrah from Masjid Al-Aqsa and then proceeds to the Sacred Masjid (Ka’bah), their past and future sins will be forgiven, or they will be entered into Paradise”. (Abu Dawud).
Imam Ebrahim explains this hadith outlining the importance of performing hajj or umrah from Masjid Al-Aqsa. No other place has this distinct virtue besides Masjid Al-Aqsa.
The Reward of 1000 Salaah
“A prayer in Makkah (Ka’bah) is worth 1000,000 times (reward), a prayer in my Masjid (Madinah) is worth 1,000 times, and a prayer in Al-Aqsa Sanctuary is worth 500 times more reward than anywhere else” [Bayhaqi]
Imam Ebrahim explains this hadith on the virtues of praying one salaah in masjid Al-Aqsa.
The Al-Aqsa compound
Masjid al-Aqsa is not only the Qibly mosque (with the silver/black dome) or the Dome of the Rock. It is in fact the whole region highlighted above and is also known as Bayt al-Maqdis or Bayt al-Muqaddas (House of the Holiness). The name ‘Masjid al-Aqsa’ translates as ‘the farthest mosque’ and is the third most holy place in Islam. It was here that in around 621 CE the Prophet Muhammed (ﷺ) came on the night journey from Makkah riding on the Buraq.
Read more at:
A great resource for children: